Current applications for individual assistance are closed. If additional funding becomes available, applications may reopen. For other avenues for assistance, please call 211.
St. Lucie CARES
Welcome to the online application for St. Lucie CARES. This program will provide a one-time payment to eligible St. Lucie County residents who have suffered an economic hardship due to the COVID-19 pandemic. The program is designed to help with payments for the following: rent or mortgage, homeowners association dues, utility bills, homeowners/flood insurance bills, auto loans, and car insurance. Documentation required for the program can be uploaded directly to the online application.
Read the information below, and please apply if you meet the criteria.
Who is eligible for St Lucie CARES?
Any St. Lucie County resident who has suffered an economic hardship (i.e. a reduction or loss of employment income) caused directly by COVID-19, and who earns less than 120% of the area median income (as shown in the table below) is eligible to apply. All household members should be listed on your application.
What can the assistance pay for?
Funding from the program is allowed to be spent on the following household expenses. Payments must have been due after March 1, 2020. Payments due prior to this date are not eligible.
- Rental Payments
- Mortgage Payments (Primary Residence Only)
- HOA Payments (Primary Residence Only)
- Homeowners/Flood Insurance Payments (Primary Residence Only)
- Utility Payments
- Car Payments
- Car Insurance
How much money can I receive from the program?
Applicants are eligible for a onetime payment of up to $4,000. The actual amount of assistance received per household will be determined on a case by case basis.
What documents do I need to apply for St. Lucie CARES assistance?
- Government Issued Picture ID’s (all adults over 18 years old);
- Child Verification: Birth Certificates or SS card, or shot records or school ID (only for children). Only one form is required;
- You will be required to provide documentation of the expenses you are requesting assistance with. They must be in the name of a household member and the name must be referenced on the bill.
- Rent: a signed and dated rental notice from the landlord stating the amount due. The notice must include the name and contact information of your landlord.
- Mortgage: a copy of your most recent mortgage statement.
- Utilities: statements for FPL, FPUA, St. Lucie County utilities, or Port Saint Lucie Utilities,
- Homeowner Association Fees: billing statement
- Homeowners/Flood Insurance: billing statement
- Car Payment: billing statement
- Car Insurance: billing statement
What happens next?
After you submit your application you will receive an email confirmation. An intake specialist will contact you within as soon as possible to review any additional documentation that may be needed.Please understand additional information may be requested and required after your application has been reviewed. You will have an opportunity to work with an intake specialist to provide any additional information. We will ask you to provide documentation within 72 hours of speaking with your intake specialist. We appreciate your patience as we help your household recover from COVID-19.
If I’m approved for assistance, how long will it take to receive my payment?
Once you have been notified that you have been approved for the program, payment should be processed within three weeks. In order to provide you with your payment as quickly as possible, you will be required to sign up for direct deposit.
Approved applicants will be required to complete an IRS W9 form for federal income tax purposes. Funding from this program is taxable and must be reported to the IRS. You will receive an IRS 1099 form at the end of the year.
If you need assistance to complete the online application, please contact the CARES Public Information Line at (772) 462-1705 Monday – Friday 8am – 5pm, or email firstname.lastname@example.org.